Ask an Expert is a national web-based system, supported by eXtension, that helps Extension faculty, staff, and volunteers respond more efficiently to questions they receive each day. Questions are submitted through Ask an Expert widgets, question forms on Extension websites, which are routed to appropriate OSU Extension experts. This statewide project is an effort to (1) continue the Extension tradition of delivering public education information with increasingly limited resources and (2) increase engagement with new and existing audiences using online communication methods that Oregonians have come to expect.
Our goal is to answer questions with objective, research-based information in less than two business days.
- New Faculty Orientation to Ask an Expert (June 2014 - Adobe Connect Archive video 1:00 hour) Provides background on AaE, how it works, what it does for our clients...and for you. Other topics include, "What makes a good answer? How do I set my preferences to get questions in my areas of expertise?"
For Our Experts
- Ask an Expert "How To" (eXtension PDF)
- VIDEO: Setting your status to "Away" in Ask an Expert ( 2.0) (2 mins. - 8/24/2012)
- VIDEO: Viewing Your Ask an Expert Statistics (2:31 mins - Feb 2014)
For Question Monitors Only
Additional Training Materials - Archive
Caution: Some of the information in the following training videos may be out-of-date with the implementation of AaE 2.0. Thanks for your patience as we work on updating these videos.
- Master Gardener volunteer (70 mins. - 2/25/2011)
- OSU faculty and staff (30 mins. - 1/26/2011)
Includes how to setup your settings to only receive questions in your area.
- Advanced: Question Monitor (1hr 25 min. - 1/20/11)
How to direct questions to the appropriate experts
For specific questions, contact Peter Petryszak with Extension and Experiment Station Communications (EESC) at 541-737-0804.